Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Backyard pictures

First, I have to say that I have the most AMAZING husband. Starting August 25th, and finishing September 22nd (in other words in 28 days), he built a porch out of flagstone rock, leveled and landscaped the yard with many different kinds of tractors, built a HUGE retaining rock wall, put in a sprinkling system, filled in trenches, leveled, spread topsoil, and laid sod. It was an amazing process to watch, and now, I know that he is the strongest man alive. You should have seen him lift those rocks as if they were nothing, and I couldn't even budge them.

Here's the beginnings of the flagstone porch:

It really was difficult to puzzle piece them together

Porter loved eating the sand


And, I must say, that Joe did an excellent job puzzle piecing the rocks together.



Next, Joe leveled and trenched the yard to get it all ready for sprinklers.




Isaiah was in heaven with all the tractors around.

And Kayla joined in on the fun too.



And next, the huge retaining wall. He lifted each and every one of these rocks by hand. Talk about strong.

For some reason, I didn't get any pictures of Joe trenching and putting in the sprinkling system, but believe me, this was a HUGE project, and of course, Joe passed it with flying colors.

After he finished the sprinkling system, leveled out the dirt again, he spread top soil all over the yard.



Then, the crowning moment. Joe gave me the honors to lay the first piece of sod. It was like carpeting the ground, and was so fun. My dad, Joe's parents, and Tim spent many hours with us laying the sod. Thank you so so much!!


Kayla had a fun time sitting on top of the big stacks of sod and directing us where to put them.


I can't even begin to explain what an awesome job Joe did in the yard. These pictures don't even do it justice. But, here is just a glimpse of what my amazing husband has been up to. Thanks for all your hard work Joe!!!

8 comments:

Camille said...

WOW! It looks amazing. We saw the before - I can't believe how great it looks and how quickly you did it.

Tricia said...

Wow!! I am REALLY impressed. The yard looks amazing! That's a ton of hard work. I bet those black widows will finally move out in no time!! ;)

Naomi said...

That yard is crackalackin'! (as Gwendolyn would say). That is a huge yard and a huge project. Way to go!

Skousen # 4 said...

Holy poop. It looks so great. I can't believe it is all done. We wish we were there to sled with you guys.

Christina said...

Your yard looks great, good job! I can't believe how quickly you got it done and I'm glad that you finished before the first snow. We miss you guys, hope all is well!

Doney Days said...

Holy cow! What a project! He is awesome! And it looks awesome!

Jenny and Jake said...

The yard looks like so much fun! Wow, great work!

Grammy said...

Your yard, and the way it came to be (careful planning, creativity, and hard work) is really great - and well done! It is amazing to me how much dedication and tenacity went into this huge project. You, and countless others, will enjoy the results of all your efforts! Good work!