Monday, January 25, 2010

Goodbye Dolly..........

When we took the kids to sit on Santa's lap before Christmas, Kayla asked Santa for a Dolly. Being the creative man that Santa is, he brought Kayla a fish named "Dolly". Kayla has loved this fish so much and has spent many hours staring at it. Just yesterday, we found Dolly on the bottom of the bowl barely breathing. Kayla was sure Dolly was going to make it, she even said many many prayers asking Heavenly Father to save her. I woke up really early this morning to get some cleaning done. I checked the fish, and sure enough Dolly had died. I knew Kayla's little 4 year old heart would be broken. When she woke up, she ran to Dolly's bowl, to see if she had made it through the night. Joe explained to Kayla that Dolly had died. She was not convinced. She moved the fish bowl around and said "See Daddy, Dolly is moving!" When Kayla realized that Dolly had really died, she broke down in tears. I can honestly say, I have never ever seen Kayla so sad. All day today, she keeps crying and wanting Dolly to come back. She now says in her prayers, "Heavenly Father, Please take care of my Dolly. I love her so much!" Kayla has been learning all about one of lifes hardest parts: Death. Thankfully her first experience with it, is a little fish, but that fish meant the world to her.





3 comments:

Tricia said...

Poor Dolly. I'll bet Kayla was her best friend in the whole world.

Grammy said...

Kayla, you have a tender heart. I know how much you have loved having Dolly as your special pet. My love has been with you at this time of losing your little friend. You will always remember this beautiful fish.

pmkennedy said...

Thats so sad!! Me and the kids are perusing all your pics and we about cried, how sweet Kayla is. Poor fish! Laurie says 'I like Dolly, I wish she was still here.' Christian says I hope you have fun in Utah! Take Care Joe and Heidi, we miss you!!