Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chili Sauce!!

I feel like an old mom. I have entered the canning world and I am loving it. I always thought of canning as an old person thing. I just never realized how fun it is and really, how EASY it is. I thought it was more of a scientific process.

Ever since Joe can remember, his mom has made Chili sauce. They like to eat it with all sorts of things, but especially good Sunday roasts. This recipe is SO SO good, and if you get a chance, try it out, or at least call us and invite yourself to dinner at our place, we would love to share some with you.

The special thing about this Chili Sauce is that the tomatoes are from my Mom and Dad's garden. I have always LOVED garden grown tomatoes (way better than store bought) and I have to say that I am biased of my Dad's tomatoes. So thanks Mom and Dad for the tomatoes, it has made this sauce extra special.

Here's the recipe:

Chili Sauce

6 celery stalks
48 ripe tomatoes skinned
8 onions
12 green peppers
2 red peppers
4 T salt
3 cup apple cider venegar
4 cup brown sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
1 T dry mustard

Cut tomatoes in small pieces and then puree in blender. Puree onions, celery and green peppers with some of the pureed tomato juice. Mix vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in spices, vinegar and sugars. Cook on stove top with very low heat until thick enough to hold up a spoon. About 10 hours. Stir occasionally. Fill hot jars to 1/4" from top. Seal with lid and cool.

Yummy!

Thanks for the recipe Mom Skousen!







2 comments:

Joanne said...

that sounds really yummy. My grandma used to make chile sauce, and I always loved it with cream cheese and ritz crackers. maybe I will make some! thanks for the inspiration.

juli said...

That looks soo good! It makes me want to make some right now. Thanks for the recipe. Tell Joe's mom thanks too!!